Posted on | June 2, 2016 | No Comments
The Kleiner, Perkins, Caufield & Byers 2016 Internet Trends was recently released and presented by industry expert Mary Meeker at Recode’s annual technology conference. Here are some highlights of the report:
- World Internet connection is at 3 billion users with a global penetration of 42%.
- Global internet usage is flat at +9% from year 2014 to year 2015.
- India is the bright spot in the report where India’s Internet usage is accelerating. Trending up from +33% in 2014 to +40% in 2015.
- India surpassed the U.S. to become #2 global Internet user only behind China.
- Smartphone usage is declining worldwide from +31% in 2014 to +21% in 2015.
Reasons for Slow Growth
- Stagnating global economy.
- Global debt is high and rising faster than most GDP’s.
- Demographic trends (slow population growth).
- Google advertising works. In 2015: +14% growth with $75 billion in revenue.
- Video ads are not working.
- 81% mute ads.
- 62% highly dislike or are annoyed by brands forcing pre-roll viewing.
- 93% consider ad blocking software.
Take in the rest of the 2016 Internet Trends report including how commerce and brands have evolved to suit the Silent Generation, Baby Boomers, Gen X and Millennials.