Posted on | March 22, 2016 | No Comments
Happy Tenth Birthday Twitter!
Twitter celebrates 10 years as a leading Internet social media app this month. Twitter should definitely be applauded for making it through a successful decade of digital relevancy especially with the ever-growing number of social media tools and apps available. A recent post titled “The Social Media Digital Supermarket” on the Elliance digital marketing blog Aha! praises Twitter as a core social media platform and a standard bearer in the social media universe. Twitter is ranked one of the top ten most popular social media networks with 320 million monthly users.
We thought it would be fun to look back at few of the top tweets, major milestones and history of Twitter’s first decade:
- First Tweet – March 2006 : Twitter co-founder Jack Dorsey sent the first tweet ever—”just setting up my twttr.”
- First Hashtag – August 2007: #barcamp, used for the global technology gatherings called Barcamp
- First to 1 million followers – April 2009: Ashton Kutcher @aplusk
- First Tweet from Space – January 2010: Astronaut TJ Creamer “Hello Twitterverse! We r now LIVE tweeting from the International Space Station — the 1st live tweet from Space! 🙂 More soon, send your ?s” @Astro_TJ
- First Pope – December 2012: Pope Benedict Joins Twitter @Pontifex
- Twitter Royalty – July 2013: 2 million tweets awaited the birth of Prince George #RoyalBaby
- Biggest Sporting Event – June 2014: The 2014 World cup was the biggest sporting event for Twitter – 627 million tweets
- Tweets per Minute – February 2016: Leonardo Dicaprio’s win at the 2014 Oscars ignited 440,000 tweets per minute. @LeoDiCaprio
Here’s to another decade of successful tweeting! To learn more about twitter and social media for inbound marketing and how to use social media and twitter for successful do-it-yourself event management visit here.