Posted on | January 5, 2009 | No Comments
“All the darkness in the world cannot put out a single candle.”
“All that we are arises with our thoughts.”
“Allow your confidence to carry you through each day.”
“A good friendship is often more important than a passionate romance.”
“Any day above ground is a good day.”
These fortune-cookie sayings are from my family meal last night at a local pan-Asian restaurant – the broad-based truths contained in each provoked smiles and knowing nods from the family as we read and shared them. These little slips of wisdom provided great end-of-the-meal conversation and provoked a thoughtful look from those to whom they spoke most directly.
Without being blatant about it, these sayings advertise a product. There is no Trademark or Copyright symbol on them, but the product is clear nonetheless: positive attitude. Although the skies are blue and the sun shines brightly outside, the clouds of economic recession darken many people’s present and immediate futures. The best things for these people to do are to (1) remember that as bad as things are, they could be worse… and (2) that in times of darkness, reaching out to your fellow humans can be a way to brighten both your situation and theirs.
What is it about you and your company that can bring light to others situations? Your words? Your products? Your ideas? Your employees?
Consider these methods for getting you in front of those who need to hear your message:
- Call, e-mail or connect to your friends through social media, e.g., Facebook, Linkedin, etc.
- Update your web site with renewed energy and information
- Send a carefully worded survey to your closest friends or colleagues
- Speak at a local, regional or national event
- Update or start a blog to build up an image about your brand
- Sponsor a local charitable, educational or business event
- Update or start an audio or video podcast – be passionate about your message
- Send a quarterly e-mail blast to your top 5,000 opted-in contacts
Whatever you do to reach out to your fellow human beings, January 2009 is the time to do it.